Remove this ad

emeline

Silver Monarch

Lead

Apr 23 09 5:52 PM

Tags : :

Chaos in Sydney as 'rain event' hits

Sydney's road and transport network was in chaos and hundreds of people were rescued or forced to flee their homes after the city suffered the sort of weather seen once in a century.

"We've had a hell of a rain event," New South Wales Roads Minister Duncan Gay said. "It's that one-in-a-100-year event that you hear of."

Flooding closed dozens of roads and some rail lines and train stations, while ferries were cancelled and there were flight delays at Sydney Airport.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10790784

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#2 [url]

Apr 28 09 2:10 AM

Heading into a 'Record Setting' Heat Wave looking to get temps that have only happened 18 times in the last 141 odd years.

Apparently IL, is going to get up to 80 degrees. In March!! After they just had snow and tornados.

Weird doesnt cover it.

Well aren't you just a fun little lollipop triple dipped in psycho......

Quote    Reply   

spin

Aluminati

#5 [url]

Apr 30 09 1:50 AM

It is 9pm on March 13 in Chicago, and it's like a night in July. @70 degrees......got a bunch of windows open so it will cool off in here enough to sleep.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#6 [url]

Apr 30 09 2:03 AM

Well in NZ we had virtually no summer and I am not happy about it!  *makes angry face*

We only had a handful of hot days.   It's been grey, murky and unseasonably chilly a lot of the time.    What happened to our long, hot summers and all those endless, clear blue skies and golden days? sad

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   

tlr1138

Silver Monarch

#7 [url]

Apr 30 09 2:09 AM

We basically had no winter in San Diego. It's been just like summer. That may sound nice, but it means we'll have a long dry fire season later on. Half the county almost burned up 5 years ago.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 30 09 3:38 AM

We actually didn't end up getting the warm weather promised.  Which is just fine with me at this time of year.  But across the continental divide on the other side of the state, they've had record breaking temps, high winds and already huge fires.

Quote    Reply   

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#10 [url]

May 4 09 1:17 PM

Snow ....In ARIZONA! ..In March...14 inches?? ..Arizona never gets snow ...LOL

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#11 [url]

May 4 09 1:19 PM

Along the same time frame ..we had 83 degree's yesterday. ..In March, when 3-4 years previously we had ice storms, also in march, so bad it froze and shattered tree's.

Quote    Reply   

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#13 [url]

May 5 09 5:14 AM

We have odd weather going on tonight. One second stillas a summer eve, boom next minute it is feeling like there is a tornado ripping through the house.

But over all ..alert for severe thunderstorms.

Still this is NOT why I am posting ..I am hoping someone will know about this or something ...

All night tonight there has been the scent of fresh earth in the air. As if the earth has opened up and exhaled. It's an odd mix very sweet like watermelon and oaken wet forest (not pine but the damp leaf pile smell). It's over powering its so strong in the air.

I seem to recall that being something about earth quakes?

Anyway cant sleep with all the thunder/wind/lightening/ weird ass smell! LOL

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 6 09 12:25 PM

More torrential rain in Louisiana.

More record highs across the middle of the country.

Em, how is your autumn shaping up down there?  I know you said you didn't have much of a summer.  Maybe summer is supposed to come in the spring now?  ;)

We had a very weirdly warm February: as in ten degrees warmer than average.  Grass is green, flowers are coming up, trees are budding.  It's like spring about seven hundred miles south of us would be.

Quote    Reply   

deusvult

Tin Warrior

#15 [url]

May 6 09 12:52 PM

I'm in the midwest US, not going to say the state, but we basically had no winter here.  We had a few cold days, and it did snow a little once or twice, but in my recollection of 40 some years, it has never been so mild all winter.  Now it has been raining for three days.  The rain isn't that strange, but it's been 20 degrees warmer than it ought to be for the past month.

Quote    Reply   

annapurna

Tinsel Tiller

#16 [url]

May 6 09 3:50 PM

As I was riding the bus home yesterday afternoon in Queens NY it was warm and sunny, 71 degrees, nice breeze, felt like June, except for the trees in bloom a full month early next to other trees which were still completely bare of blossoms or leaves. Very very strange weather. It's supposed to get over 80 tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#18 [url]

May 6 09 5:33 PM

One of my garden beds, had Kale and these little black beads appeared all over it ..so I decided to just replant, and pulled it all up. Half an hour later me and hubby are messing around in that bed and the ground is moving. I am like ..what is that? and we stop to really look and it is MILLION's..of little tiny green catipillars. The wood of the bed was green with them within moments. Never seen so many little tiny bugs together .

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#20 [url]

May 7 09 12:48 AM

CM, they're talking about strange smells in Wisconsin too.

We seem to have gone back to not exactly seasonless, but more where the seasons are all blurred and very strange and unpredictable.    The North Island keeps getting very bizarre weather events which we never seemed to get before.  They've had lots of rain and flooding there recently.

Round here it's been so damp and wet lots of the farmers can't even get the grain harvested.    We used to get hot, dry summers - February was particularly hot - but now they're struggling to get grain dry enough to even harvest it.  Some have, some haven't - but good grief, it's not far off April and there's still big fields of grain everywhere. I suspect a lot of it is just going to be ruined - unless we suddenly get some hot days, but we seem to be endlessly getting this dismal, damp, cloudy, rainy weather.  I hate it. 

It's very cold for March too.  I feel like we came through Winter, only got a few hot days of Summer and have more or less gone right back into Winter. sad

Some people are talking about whether they'll even risk trying to grow berries, tomatoes and grain any more.   They all really need periods of HEAT which we once took for granted.  Now the heat is often just not showing up...

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help