Remove this ad

emeline

Silver Monarch

#41 [url]

Mar 16 09 1:27 AM

The phrase "bolt from the blue" really stands out for me in what was written above.   A lot of the incidents down here seem to fit that completely.

Here's one example which happened in my province at the weekend.  A 38 year old farmer went out to check the cattle.  He saw three who clearly were lying down and knew something was wrong so he went over to have a look. They were dead and had been electrocuted by a power line which was hanging four feet from the ground.  It sounds like some freak event had damaged the power pole and caused the line to drop.  He never saw the line either so he rode into it and was electrocuted.    His wife came out a bit later to get the mail, saw him lying there (he was probably killed pretty quickly) and tried to help him. She ended up with serious burns in hospital. Their 7 year old son managed to raise the alarm.

But see what I mean about it seems another freakish series of events?  Power lines don't often come down like that.  The poor guy never saw the power line.  It probably never crossed his mind the 3 dead cattle (he probably suspected they were dead, you can tell dead stock from stock lying down pretty easily) were a warning. 

So many of these tragedies seem, for want of a better description, such awfully bad luck.

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Mar 16 09 2:51 AM

EM!  I've been thinking the same thing for awhile now.  I was just saying how many car wrecks there had been in Montana in the past three or four months.  Several a day.  I mean serious injury/death wrecks.  There used to be, maybe, one a month.

Then, today, there's this:

Ten People Killed in Crashes in Florida Due to Fires Along Interstate Highway

http://www.kpax.com/news/florida-interstate-crashes-horrendous-victim-says-10-dead/

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Mar 16 09 2:53 AM

The information from the person who doesn't want to be identified is exactly what Bill Herbst has been saying for a number of years.  I know several people here follow him, and they can attest to that. 

He's been saying we are heading into crazy times.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Mar 16 09 4:56 AM

Em, isn't it summer down your way? Not sure what the difference is between Summer/Winter in your area but most of what you report as increased may be attributable to people being outside more/traveling more often in "good" weather and school vacation time.

It sad about the man, his wife, and his cattle. Every First Aid/CPR course I have taken (including the refresher courses) has told a story much like that. Usually it involves a dog and an old man, and his son/daughter , but the point they tried to make is you can't help others, if you need help yourself.

I admit I may neglect that point of self-preservation, if I saw only a loved one in distress. Seeing a loved one, and livestock all "down" in one area would peak my alertness, hopefully.

What exactly is "people falling into drains"? Drains is a (usually) indoor plumbing term in my area.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#46 [url]

Mar 16 09 9:48 AM

Thanks Lou and periol, yeah, a lot of it seems so peculiar.  I just saw another one here today:

A woman was seriously hurt when two yachts collided on Auckland's waterfront this afternoon, sinking one and throwing two people into the water.

powerdown it is summer here so we do expect more accidents, especially drownings, but it just seems to me there's more of them and they're freakier.  Re drains, well we have drains outside as well and this was another fairly weird event - a man dropped his keys down an open stormwater drain and died trying to retrieve them:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10779295

Quote    Reply   

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#47 [url]

Mar 16 09 1:44 PM

A massive car pile up in FL has killed 10 people.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/29/us/florida-fatal-crashes/index.html

Cars burst into flame with people still trapped inside.
One man is said to have said 'It was like the end of the world"

You couldnt see anyone all you could hear was people screaming and crying. Smoke everywhere.

**This accident is a really weird one. You should do a search for "10 people killed in Florida" because alot of the articles are AssPress. But of note ..some people escaped from cars that looking back on them it was a 'miracle' because the cars they were in are completely demolished yet others in cars with virtualy no damage are oddly trapped and die in the fire of them. One man said it was weird to be talking to a guy in the car next to them (they were stopped for smoke from a forest fire) and then to sit there and eerily watch this same mans car get slammed forward under a semi truck killing him.

Very odd this one.

Well aren't you just a fun little lollipop triple dipped in psycho......

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Mar 16 09 2:16 PM

It just dawned on me that in Jay Weidner's piece on Tolkien, he talks about how the compression of time will have everything that has ever happened in the world (event-type situations, I mean) will be all compressed in small amounts of time.

For instance, all the wars that have happened in the world, that type of energy will be compressed into a moment in time as we enter this time shift.

I'm not explaining it well, but if you read the piece, it's very interesting to consider.

And horrible, too, if we think about all the negative things that have happened in this age being compressed and happening within a very short period of time.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#49 [url]

Mar 21 09 9:57 PM

Okay, I know it happens but I think in NZ this is pretty much a freak event.

Poor man.

Man killed by wasps at Marlborough Sound

A man killed in a wasp attack yesterday made a desperate bid to escape the swarm, says a volunteer firefighter who was first on the scene.
The 62-year-old man died after he disturbed a wasp nest while collecting firewood on a property in the Kenepuru Sound, Marlborough, just after 9am yesterday. A male relative with the man was also stung, but survived.
Kenepuru Fire Party volunteer firefighter Stefan Schulz raced to the pair's aid after the survivor called emergency services on his cellphone.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10783490

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Mar 22 09 2:05 AM

Remember that for the first time ever we're getting news aggregated from all over the world, having to feed a 24/7/365 news cycle and an 'if it bleeds, it leads' mentality whereby anything horrific or strange (strangely horrific is icing and cake!) will dominate the broadcast. 

If you were back in the 1860s, and living on a 200 acre farm in the Western Territories, and minding your own business taking care of the animals and your family, weeks could go by before you heard that the president of the United States had been assassinated.  The reason a lot of people went into town every Sunday wasn't so much for the church service as it was for the socializing and to hear the news...

I presume everybody smart enough to be here has cancelled their teevee (if you need information on how horrible they really are, check out the various anti-tv books out there, the technology behind them is pure brainwashing) but especially it helps if you don't listen to the 'news'.   Your blood pressure and psychological health will thank you.  There's things I'm an information junkie about, but I prefer to surf the net to find the news presented in a way that actually makes sense to me with a healthy dose of 'countering', watching and reading stuff I don't agree with to make sure I understand all points of view.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

emeline

Silver Monarch

#51 [url]

Mar 26 09 8:52 PM

Another couple of weirdish incidents here that made me go, hmmm.

First this one, a little boy killed by falling logs in a school playground, very sad.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10784598

The second one was a young man got killed in a car accident this week when his car ran off the road somewhat inexplicably.  The odd thing is him and his brother were going tramping and climbing in the mountains and had all the gear packed in the vehicle.  They got to the starting point and when they unloaded some gear realised that one of them had inadvertently packed two left boots.   The young man who was killed said he'd go back home and get the correct (right) boot he needed, only he had an accident and was killed instead.   His poor brother, who'd packed the two left boots, said, "if only I had packed the correct boots".

When my father was reading the story out of the paper even he observed, "There seem to be a lot of odd things happening lately".

Odd things will always happen but it just seems there are a LOT of odd things happening.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Mar 30 09 10:32 AM

Ha! I've got a good one for you, Em!

In the past, oh, about three weeks to a month, there have been five or six ski chair lift accidents in Montana.  As in the chair lift breaking and dropping people to the ground.

Yesterday FOUR people fell.

Now, this isn't exactly unheard of.  Except in Montana I think they said it happens about once every blue moon.  Needless to say, the resorts keep the lifts in tip-top shape.

So, it's been very strange that chair lifts in several different places have all dropped people.  It's happening about once a week. 

Quote    Reply   

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#53 [url]

Mar 30 09 12:29 PM

I get up this morning all groggy, look outside ..snow ..mmm kay.. get called at 5am no school for kiddo's. mm kay ..turn on the TeeVee for some noise and GEESSHHH!

first thing is an advert about 2012 the earths rotation stopping/reversing and then you wouldnt really need a retirement plan would ya??
Then the very next commercial is about us all becomming ONE.

WTF?? I am starting to think ..Either the Ship is really going to go down or they are hyping the crap out of us.

You know ..having said that ..I wonder what people that dont get bombarded by all this end of the world stuff think is going to happen in 2012? Like those nomadic Tibetians? (yeah I cant stop thinking about them lol )

Well aren't you just a fun little lollipop triple dipped in psycho......

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Mar 30 09 9:04 PM

Back in the day I used to have a 'no electricity' day.  No teevee, no radio, no computers, no nuthin.  It's fun, try it!  You'll end up eating stuff you never otherwise would and reading to the kids via candlelight.  Nice early night to bed, too... :)

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#55 [url]

Mar 30 09 9:47 PM

Ha! I've got a good one for you, Em!
In the past, oh, about three weeks to a month, there have been five or six ski chair lift accidents in Montana.  As in the chair lift breaking and dropping people to the ground.
Yesterday FOUR people fell.
Now, this isn't exactly unheard of.  Except in Montana I think they said it happens about once every blue moon.  Needless to say, the resorts keep the lifts in tip-top shape.
So, it's been very strange that chair lifts in several different places have all dropped people.  It's happening about once a week. 

-mtlouie

Wow Lou, as I read that suddenly it occured to me how many of the "freak events" down here also are something to do with FALLING.  Trees falling on people, people falling off bridges, debris falling onto people...and like Montana and the ski lifts, it's not that it never happens, it's just that it seems to me to be happening a LOT more...in odd kinds of circumstances.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#56 [url]

Mar 30 09 9:53 PM

SF I like that idea!

CM well down here in NZ I don't know anyone who actually "believes" in 2012 being 'the end".  Nearly everyone I know thinks the whole Mayan calendar "end of the world" thing is just a joke.   I don't believe it either.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#57 [url]

Mar 30 09 10:07 PM

Lou, here's another freakish one, man killed backing out of his garage in his car.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10785448

However, the open car door became entangled in a shelving unit, forcing the car to slide sideways and causing Mr Skinner to lose control. The car then hit another car parked in the garage.
"Mr Skinner then attempted to regain control of his car by continuing in reverse but steering it away from the parked car,'' the report said.
"However, by doing this, Mr Skinner was partially ejected sideways out from the driver's seat and the driver side of his car collided with the garage entrance wall. Mr Skinner was trapped and crushed between the garage entrance wall and the 'A' pillar of his car.''
The police crash investigator had found the primary cause of the crash was Mr Skinner losing control when his open door hit the shelving unit.

Quote    Reply   

snowflower

Tin Warrior

#58 [url]

Mar 31 09 1:17 AM

LOL about no electricity, because I used to LIVE like that. We didn't have so much as a generator on the mountain and lived here year round without electricity. It was no big deal - we just did it.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#59 [url]

Mar 31 09 1:33 AM

I don't have much experience of going without electricity - during the earthquakes the longest time we had to do without was about 24 hours.   What I hate is a NIGHT without good, strong electric light!.  We have solar lanterns, crank handle lanterns, Coleman lamps, Tilley lamps, torches, candles.....but I don't like using anything with fire/kerosene/petrol/flame because of the fire danger (it's staggering how many houses used to burn down years ago because of lamps and candles).    Also my father and me have mobility problems, serious enough that I don't know how quick we would be rushing out of a burning house and that does worry me.  Of course everyone is always trying NOT to set their house on fire but it seems when you start introducing that kind of lighting, accidents do happen.

We can soon heat water, cook food, get heating etc without electricity but I hate not having those electric lights.  It's even spookier when you have earthquakes or some other problem like that going on still too.

What did you do for light Lua?

I guess a lot of it is just getting used to something different.  I've been too spoilt. grin

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Mar 31 09 2:55 AM

Hey, one of my friends rents one of her rental houses to a guy whose mother was run over and killed in their local mall parking lot.  Somewhere back east.

And I just read a story a couple of weeks ago about a woman in Helena who was crushed between her truck and a telephone pole in a parking lot at a store!!

Wow, things do seem strange.  I mean, I know it happens, but it just seems, like I said about the car wrecks happening in Montana, to be piling on.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help