Remove this ad

periol

Silver Monarch

#81 [url]

Jul 23 10 10:05 AM

It shouldn't be too shocking that the US government spies on its citizens. What may be more surprising is just how far-reaching, and possibly unconstitutional, this program is. Perhaps the most significant part will be the fallout now that the secrets are out in the open.

http://www.gizmag.com/nsa-prism-obama-spying-americans/27831/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

tlr1138

Silver Monarch

#82 [url]

Jul 23 10 11:32 PM

Obama needs to be sharing a prison cell with Bush and Cheney. Actually, though, the partisan puppets are not important. The Deep State, the permanent government, the national security state (whatever you want to call it) is behind all of this.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#83 [url]

Jul 24 10 3:34 AM

Secretive US data trawl could snag Australians

Washington: They quite literally can watch your ideas form as you type. Evidence is emerging of what may be the largest electronic surveillance operation in American history - the gathering of phone and internet data of millions of ordinary citizens - and it has united criticism of the Obama administration across the political spectrum, from the libertarian right to the liberal left.
On Thursday night, The Washington Post and The Guardian reported the National Security Agency (NSA) was obtaining logs of the internet activity and stored data of users of the nine biggest internet companies in the US, extracting audio, video, photographs, emails, documents and connection logs that enable analysts to track a person's movements and contacts.
The highly classified program, code-named PRISM, has not been disclosed publicly before.
The technology companies, which reportedly participate knowingly in PRISM operations, include most of the dominant global players of Silicon Valley. They are listed with their logos according to their entry into the program: ''Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, Paltalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, Apple.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/secretive-us-data-trawl-could-snag-australians-20130607-2nvkd.html#ixzz2ValO5xVG

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#85 [url]

Jul 24 10 11:43 PM

They're all in it together as TLR says. wink

This is shocking too.  (sarcasm).  Emeline.

Revealed: Google and Facebook DID allow NSA access to data and were in talks to set up 'spying rooms' despite denials by Zuckerberg and Page over PRISM project

• Mark Zuckerberg and Larry Page both issued blustery statements over recent media reports they gave the National Security Agency officials access to their troves of user information
  • Now sources say both tech giants were in discussion about specific ways to give U.S. officials access to their data using virtual classified information reading rooms
  • Companies are all compelled by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act to hand over any information requested under the law, but they're not required to make access easier
  • PRISM data-mining program was launched in 2007 with approval from special federal judges
  • Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, YouTube, Skype, AOL and PalTalk are involved in spying program
  • The UK has had access to the PRISM data since at least 2010
  • Details of data collection were outlined in classified 41-slide PowerPoint presentation that was leaked by intelligence officer

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337863/PRISM-Google-Facebook-DID-allow-NSA-access-data-talks-set-spying-rooms-despite-denials-Zuckerberg-Page-controversial-project.html#ixzz2Vfgg6AeM

Quote    Reply   

antelopone

Tin Warrior

#86 [url]

Jul 25 10 1:03 AM

I live in the heartland of the USA and I would like to say that 99% of the people are clueless to what is really going on and are too busy earning a living to take notice of the out of control government and military-industrial complex.  About 5 to 10% of people think something very bad is wrong with the US government and are preparing for the worst.  But it is the few elite political, corporate, and military-industral complex that are drunk with power and money not the ordinary citizens.  I have thought of immigrating to another country because Americans will pay a heavy price for their ignorance soon.  But I have an old tomcat that doesn't travel well so I think I will stay at least for a while longer.  Interesting Times. -- J.E. Ante

Quote    Reply   

periol

Silver Monarch

#88 [url]

Jul 25 10 9:41 PM

the thing i find interesting about this latest reveal is the number of people talking about how "conspiracy theorists" have been right along.  if i didn't know better, i'd say we're going mainstream!

seriously, the thing that brought me to focus on tinfoil in the first place, and kept me focused on tinfoil despite the obvious misdirection and trolls out there is the reality that the real truth of what's going on has been hidden.  i'm very happy it's starting to come out at last.

Quote    Reply   

periol

Silver Monarch

#89 [url]

Jul 25 10 10:24 PM

NSA contractor who leaked details of surveillance scheme reveals himself: The 29-year-old hiding out in Hong Kong after he stole secret data and fled U.S. 

• Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former CIA technical assistant, says he passed the classified information to The Guardian 
  • The documents blew open a number of intense NSA surveillance operations and caused a firestorm over the government's actions
  • Snowden, a high school drop-out, says he leaked information because he doesn't 'want to live in a society that does these sort of things'
  • Comes after National Intelligence director James R Clapper defended the surveillance programs for keeping America safe
  • NSA filed criminal report with Justice Dept. in relation to leaks to The Guardian and The Washington Post
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338534/Edward-Snowden-speaks-NSA-contractor-leaked-details-surveillance-scheme-reveals-himself.html#ixzz2VlDG6NRf 

Quote    Reply   

tlr1138

Silver Monarch

#90 [url]

Jul 27 10 1:46 AM

"…our Government is the CIA and the Pentagon, with Congress reduced to a debating society… We won't build Dachaus and Auschwitzes; the clever manipulation of the mass media is creating a concentration camp of the mind that promises to be far more effective in keeping the populace in line … I've learned enough about the machinations of the CIA in the past year to know that this is no longer the dream world America I once believed in … Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."

- New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison, interview with Playboy magazine October 1967

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

periol

Silver Monarch

#91 [url]

Jul 27 10 4:18 AM

tlr, people talk all the time about how those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it.

but this is different, this is generation after generation willfully ignoring the clear signs of corruption because the fruits of empire were too good to be passed up.  i'm not 40 yet, and it's crazy to me how even during the 80's and 90's the people around me blissfully enjoyed their bounty at the expense of everyone else, even as the ruling class was starting to tear things apart.  i remember when NAFTA went through, and the shock i felt that clinton of all people (naive young tyke that i was) would let that pass.  now, no one thinks about NAFTA.  

and the same thing can be said time and again, about so many things that the ruling class pushed through.  no one cared, and not many care now, because for them, the positives of cheap food and oil and the comforts of empire, even an empire in decline, are too strong to fight against.

we've been brainwashed, yes.  but not against our will.  i think if given a choice, even knowing how it would all end, most people would have chosen the brainwashing.  so sad.

Quote    Reply   

antelopone

Tin Warrior

#93 [url]

Jul 28 10 5:55 PM

If the majority of real terrorists out there that are NOT state sponsored tools of the major governments then this phone and email intell boycott might be a meaningful action.  But most terrorist are likely in the employ of an intelligence agency when planning and executing terror acts for false-flag operations. 

The real reason for the NSA is to have the apparatus in place to spy on ordinary citizens who oppose the indiscriminate actions and power of the corporations and governments WORLDWIDE not just in America.  To spy on the ordinary citizens of any country who are organizing to oppose unjust government actions and corporate irresponsibility.  The only use of the NSA domestic spying is just that -- domestic spying on individual citizens for the power elite in any country.  The only reason for the NSA domestic spying is to defeat common democratic debate and congress of ideas so that the power elite will have only their side winning all issues and all opposition is squelched and routed.  In other words, the only real reason for domestic spying is absolute power by the business elite and the Space Command to control our planet Earth. 

Fear in the individuals of the Space Command and the power elite is the motive behind the pursuit of this absolute power.  The only way to defeat fear is with the power of love and understanding which resides in the hearts of the ordinary people directed against the fear of the elite.  That is the spiritual way to evolve out of this current crisis in our leadership. 

The power elite have chosen to separate themselves from the common citizens they "represent" and so have broken off from humanity to form their own survival and power group and so see humanity as the enemy of the power elite.  They must come back into the fold of humanity and start acting like leaders and not despots.  It is as simple as that.  Full disclosure would be a good first step.  -- J.E. Ante

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#94 [url]

Jul 29 10 3:40 AM

Connecting the Dots on PRISM, Phone Surveillance, and the NSA’s Massive Spy Center

An aerial view of the NSA’s Utah Data Center in Bluffdale, Utah. The government is secretly collecting the telephone records of millions of Verizon customers and gathering data from tech companies including Apple, Microsoft and Google. The Obama Administration defends the National Security Agency’s need to collect such records, but critics call it a huge over-reach. Photo: Rick Bowmer/Associated Press

Physically, the NSA has always been well protected by miles of high fences and electrified wire, thousands of cameras, and gun-toting guards. But that was to protect the agency from those on the outside trying to get in to steal secrets. Now it is confronting a new challenge: those on the inside going out and giving the secrets away.
While the agency has had its share of spies, employees who have sold top-secret documents to foreign governments for cash, until the last few years it has never had to deal with whistleblowers passing top-secret information and documents to the press because their conscience demanded it. This in a place where no employee has ever written a book about the agency (unlike the prolific CIA, where it seems that a book contract is included in every exit package).
As someone who has written many books and articles about the agency, I have seldom seen the NSA in such a state. Like a night prowler with a bag of stolen goods suddenly caught in a powerful Klieg light, it now finds itself under the glare of nonstop press coverage, accused of robbing the public of its right to privacy. Despite the standard denials from the agency’s public relations office, the documents outline a massive operation to secretly keep track of everyone’s phone calls on a daily basis – billions upon billions of private records; and another to reroute the pipes going in and out of Google, Apple, Yahoo, and the other Internet giants through Fort Meade – figuratively if not literally. 
But long before Edward Snowden walked out of the NSA with his trove of documents, whistleblowers there had been trying for years to bring attention to the massive turn toward domestic spying that the agency was making. Last year in my Wired cover story on the enormous new NSA data center in Utah, Bill Binney, the man who largely designed the agency’s worldwide eavesdropping system, warned of the secret, nationwide surveillance. He told how the NSA had gained access to billions of billing records not only from AT&T but also from Verizon. “That multiplies the call rate by at least a factor of five,” he said. “So you’re over a billion and a half calls a day.” Among the top-secret documents Snowden released was a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court order proving the truth to Binney’s claim and indicating that the operation was still going on.
I also wrote about Adrienne J. Kinne, an NSA intercept operator who attempted to blow the whistle on the NSA’s illegal eavesdropping on Americans following the 9/11 attacks. “Basically all rules were thrown out the window,” she said, “and they would use any excuse to justify a waiver to spy on Americans.” Even journalists calling home from overseas were included. “A lot of time you could tell they were calling their families,” she says, “incredibly intimate, personal conversations.” She only told her story to me after attempting, and failing, to end the illegal activity with appeals all the way up the chain of command to Major General Keith Alexander, head of the Army’s Intelligence and Security Command at the time.

Without documents to prove their claims, the agency simply dismissed them as falsehoods and much of the mainstream press simply accepted that. “We don’t hold data on U.S. citizens,” Alexander said in a talk at the American Enterprise Institute last summer, by which time he had been serving as the head of the NSA for six years. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper made similar claims. At a hearing of the Senate Intelligence Committee last March, he was asked, “Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?” To which Clapper responded, “No, sir.” The documents released by Snowden, pointing to the nationwide collection of telephone data records and not denied by government officials, prove the responses untrue.

The deception by General Alexander is especially troubling. In my new cover story for Wired’s July issue, which will be published online Thursday, I show how he has become the most powerful intelligence chief in the nation’s history. Never before has anyone in America’s intelligence sphere come close to his degree of power, the number of people under his command, the expanse of his rule, the length of his reign, or the depth of his secrecy. A four-star Army general, his authority extends across three domains: He is director of the world’s largest intelligence service, the National Security Agency; chief of the Central Security Service; and commander of the U.S. Cyber Command. As such, he has his own secret military, presiding over the Navy’s 10th Fleet, the 24th Air Force, and the Second Army.

The article also sheds light on the enormous privatization not only of the intelligence agencies but now also of Cyber Command, with thousands of people working for little-known companies hired to develop the weapons of cyber war, cyber targeting, and cyber exploitation. The Snowden case demonstrates the potential risks involved when the nation turns its spying and eavesdropping over to companies with lax security and inadequate personnel policies. The risks increase exponentially when those same people must make critical decisions involving choices that may lead to war, cyber or otherwise.

Full article:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/nsa-prism-verizon-surveillance/

Quote    Reply   

antelopone

Tin Warrior

#95 [url]

Jul 29 10 4:40 AM

I do not understand how James Bamford could write in this article --
"This in a place (NSA) where no employee has ever written a book about the agency (unlike the prolific CIA,--"

Isn't he the former NSA employee that wrote several books on the NSA that were documented with all previously published documents in the public domain concerning the NSA?  -- J.E. Ante

Quote    Reply   

periol

Silver Monarch

#97 [url]

Aug 3 10 9:01 AM

The Whistleblower’s Guide to the Orwellian Galaxy: How to Leak to the Press

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/06/the-whistleblowers-guide-to-privacy-how-to-leak-to-the-press/?cid=co8902144

Leaking by Email

The CIA supposedly already provided a guide to secure email, which the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) translated back to English — convenient, given the situation we now find ourselves in.

Get a dedicated computer or tablet: the cheapest Windows laptop will do. And pay cash, as our normal laptops have a host of automatic synchronization and similar services. Our personal web browsers also contain all sorts of location-identifying cookies. Even if you’re logged in to but don’t actually visit Facebook’s home page, a subpoena to Facebook can still reveal where you connect and what pages you visit — every “Like” button reports to Facebook that you are visiting that particular page, at a particular time, from a particular IP address.Leave your cellphone, your normal computer, and your metro card (like SmarTrip) at home: anything that speaks over a wireless link must stay behind. Then go to a coffee shop that has open Wi-Fi, and once there open a new Gmail account that you will only use to contact the press and only from the dedicated computer. When registering, use no personal information that can identify you or your new account: no phone numbers, no names.

Don’t forget: if you get anything at the cafe, or take public transit, pay cash. Be prepared to walk a bit, too; you can’t stay close to home for this.Of course, the job still isn’t finished. When you are done you must clear the browser’s cookies and turn off the Wi-Fi before turning off the computer and removing the battery. The dedicated computer should never be used on the network except when checking your press-contact account and only from open Wi-Fi connections away from home and work.

Leaking Over the Phone

Again, start by leaving all electronic devices at home. Go to a small liquor store in a low-income neighborhood, and buy a pre-paid cellphone (TracPhone or similar) with cash. Make sure it has enough airtime to not expire for a few months — T-mobile prepaid is particularly good since the pay-as-you-go plan doesn’t expire for a full year if you buy $100 of airtime.By the way, I would personally look for a store with security cameras that look old — a continuous tape or similar setup — since once the FBI has the number, the next step is to contact the store that sold the phone. Alternatively, you can get someone else to walk into the store and buy it for you.You now own your very own “burner” phone — remember The Wire? – and this phone must remain off with the battery removed at all times. Because every active cellphone is effectively a continuous GPS, monitoring your location and feeding the information to the phone company which retains this information for weeks, months, even years. Just a warrant-step away.

Now, to use the phone … Once again, go to a different location without carrying your normal devices, turn on the phone, check your voicemail, make your call, turn it off again, and pull out the battery. Your phone calls are now (hopefully) anonymous so that when the FBI leak-hunt starts, there is no trail for them to follow.Of course, the burner laptop or phone could still identify you if it’s ever found, as they both contain network identifiers built into the hardware. So if you ever need to abandon your device, first wipe the device back to its factory fresh configuration using any “secure erase” options available, then take a hammer and break the device. Put it in some other piece of trash (like an empty McDonald’s sack), go for another stroll, and drop in a public trashcan.But if the feds are already following you, you’re caught anyway, so it doesn’t matter if they catch you taking out the trash instead of finding something when they search your home.

Leaking by Mail

Investigative journalist Julia Angwin of the Wall Street Journal pointed out that physical mail, dropped in a random post-box with a bogus return address, is perhaps the best way for anonymous one-way communication. Perhaps the best use of mail is simply to send the reporter a burner phone pre-programmed to only call your burner.

Believing that the U.S. Postal Service recorded specific mail address information only when asked by law enforcement, I had previously argued that there’s no history with mail — and even if there were, it could only be traced to the processing post office.However, The Smoking Gun spotted — buried in an affidavit! — that the U.S. Postal Service records the outside of mail. According to thefull affidavit (also available on RECAP; see page 5) the machine used to automate mail operations, the Automated Facer Canceler System, contains a “Mail Isolation Control and Tracking” program that photographs every single piece of mail and maintains this information for future access by law enforcement.

Although there’s no mention of optical character recognition to allow indexing by recipient rather than by postmark, leakers must now assume that the U.S. government is indeed recording the outside of everything we mail. A leaker should therefore access a public postbox in the same way s/he uses a burner phone:  Leave all devices behind, walk to a remote postbox, and follow all the other guidelines above. But be sure to include a note to the reporter telling him or her to trash the envelope immediately.

Last Edited By: periol Aug 3 10 9:03 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

antelopone

Tin Warrior

#98 [url]

Aug 5 10 1:30 PM

My view is that you can not defeat the techno type weapons of power. You can only leapfrog over these tools of power and control by using your own innate power of your individual consciousness. Power to the people and the individual and to the Truth. That will set you free.
The techno-gagets of the future are already obsolete compared to the power of love and conscious intentions to change ourselves and the world around us. Your only true leader is your own heart. The only true power is your own conscious intentions. Especially do not hate your "perceived" enemy for they are your own brothers in the adventure of living that are in fact your teachers of the human heart. And you, their pupils, are also teaching them the lessons of life that they need to learn to progress also as individuals and as a civilization. Someday you will likely be the teachers of the negative for souls often switch sides to learn both the positive and negative lessons of life. It is only fear that blinds us to the Truth and your own innate power of life and consciousness. -- J.E. Ante

Quote    Reply   

antelopone

Tin Warrior

#99 [url]

Aug 31 10 5:18 AM

I am in awe of the abilities of the negative power to spin anything. Reagonomics is the first time I noticed this effect. The Reagan economic tax cuts to the rich to stimulate the economy. This reverse Robin Hood give to the rich, so that they will in turn invest their new money and create jobs for the poor. This 8 years of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer was totally the reverse of logic but the public and pundits still bought it. So we had 8 years of giving to the rich of trickle down economics which was the stupidest thing I could every think could happen in a million years and yet it happened.

Then you have 911 with Attas passport found at the scene miraculously. A jet engine was found on the ground but not of the kind from the two planes that crashed. Atta left his personal Koran in a Florida strip club the night before 911 -- how did he get to Baltimore the next morning? And Building 7 was not even hit by a plane but collapsed as if demolished which takes many weeks to plan not hours.

The reporter killed in Santa Monica who had a man with a hose outside spraying the wreck BEFORE the chasing police car arrived. And a wrecker and another police car are already there at the crash Before the chasing police can arrived.

It seems the negative powers are doing all they can to mess up big time so that the people will wake up and see these obvious impossibilities. But the people must be drugged and dumbed down too much now to notice any of this or to care about any of it. But I am impressed at the negative power sporting attitude in messing up on purpose to give the public major hints that something is very wrong with the TV message they just viewed. Interesting Times. -- J.E. Ante

Last Edited By: antelopone Aug 31 10 5:21 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help