Remove this ad

emeline

Silver Monarch

#41 [url]

May 20 08 9:57 PM

"If a pearl looks perfect, it's a fake".

- so say pearl experts.

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

emeline

Silver Monarch

#42 [url]

Jun 3 08 12:49 PM

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every ‘superstar,’ every ‘supreme leader,’ every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.”

-Carl Sagan

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#43 [url]

Sep 13 08 9:25 PM

“ When you are in doubt, be still, and wait; when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage. So long as mists envelop you, be still; be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists—as it surely will. Then act with courage. ”

— Ponca Chief White Eagle

http://indiancountrytodaymedia​network.com/quotes/

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#45 [url]

Sep 24 08 1:15 AM

The truth is, most people don't want to have to think. They elect leaders, they support governments requiring no independent thought. If all you are doing is following someone else's rules, then you have not grown, you have obeyed.

Quote    Reply   

kitty

Tin Warrior

#47 [url]

Nov 15 08 11:38 AM

We were so poor that on Christmas Eve, dad would go outside, shoot off his shotgun, come back in the house and say:  "Santa just commited suicide".  Jake La Motta.

Know when to hold, and know when to fold.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#48 [url]

Nov 16 08 8:50 AM

"Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them."
— Robert A. Heinlein

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Nov 30 08 1:47 PM

Rumi -

God turns you from one feeling to another

and teaches you by means of opposites,

so that you will have two wings to fly –

not one.

Only from the heart can you touch the sky.

Since in order to speak, one must first listen

learn to speak by listening.

We rarely hear the inward music,

but we’re all dancing to it nevertheless.

Patience is the key to Joy.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#52 [url]

Dec 2 08 3:18 PM

"Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks, Em, for that beautiful quote from Heinlein. It made my day.
I love Heinleins' genius work. I still think that Stranger in a Strange Land will someday be made into a movie.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 13 08 9:26 AM

"Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them."
— Robert A. Heinlein

-emeline

The sculpture in question..  "Celle qui fut la belle heaulmière" or "She who was the Helmet-Maker's once beautiful Wife"

http://www.rodin-web.org/works/1884_helmetmakers_wife.htm

@goodnessknows -  I too would love to see "Stranger" made into a film..

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#57 [url]

Dec 13 08 9:16 PM

I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put way as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.

- John Lennon.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#58 [url]

Jan 4 09 6:31 AM

If a man could make the right choices," he said, "then he could significantly alter the course of the possible future. No man, then, should feel insignificant, for it only takes one man to alter the consciousness of mankind through the Spirit-that-moves-in-all-things. In essence, one thought influences another, then another, until the thought is made manifest throughout all of Creation. It is the same thought, the same force, that causes an entire flock of birds to change course, as the flock then has one mind."

_ "Grandfather"

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/profecias/esp_profecia12.htm

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#59 [url]

Jan 4 09 6:50 AM

"Did you ever watch a flock of sandpipers on the beach, how they ebb and flow with the tides, becoming at times not a gathering of individual animals but one organism, moving as a unit together along the surf? When they burst into flight, their cohesiveness is even more startling and wondrous. At once they all will be flying in a certain direction, and then in an instant the entire flock will turn simultaneously and take a new direction.

"Studied closely, there is no one bird that makes the decision to turn, but it seems to be a Spirit, a collective consciousness, that runs through the flock instantly. When viewed from afar, the flock appears to be one animal, one organism, one consciousness, governed by the collective force and spirit of all the individuals. It is this same consciousness that runs through man, Nature and the Earth-that which we call the 'Spirit-that-moves-in-all-things', or the 'life force'.

"I suspect," he continued, "that it is but one bird that creates the thought that turns the flock, and the one thought becomes immediately manifested in all the others. The individual then transcends self and becomes one with the whole. Thus, at once, the bird moves within the flock and the flock moves within the bird.

So, then, do not ask what you can do to affect the life force in a positive way, for the same Spirit that moves within the birds also moves within you. One person, one idea, one thought can turn the flock of society away from the destructive path of modern times. It is not a question as to whether we make a difference, for we all make a difference, each of us in our own way. It is the difference we make that is important."

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/profecias/esp_profecia12.htm

Quote    Reply   

periol

Silver Monarch

#60 [url]

Jan 4 09 10:42 AM

"Did you ever watch a flock of sandpipers on the beach, how they ebb and flow with the tides, becoming at times not a gathering of individual animals but one organism, moving as a unit together along the surf? When they burst into flight, their cohesiveness is even more startling and wondrous. At once they all will be flying in a certain direction, and then in an instant the entire flock will turn simultaneously and take a new direction."Studied closely, there is no one bird that makes the decision to turn, but it seems to be a Spirit, a collective consciousness, that runs through the flock instantly. When viewed from afar, the flock appears to be one animal, one organism, one consciousness, governed by the collective force and spirit of all the individuals. It is this same consciousness that runs through man, Nature and the Earth-that which we call the 'Spirit-that-moves-in-all-things', or the 'life force'."I suspect," he continued, "that it is but one bird that creates the thought that turns the flock, and the one thought becomes immediately manifested in all the others. The individual then transcends self and becomes one with the whole. Thus, at once, the bird moves within the flock and the flock moves within the bird. 

-emeline

I have spent a great deal of time watching flocks of sandpipers on the beach.  Guess I'm kinda weird like that.  And I have to say, I was never overwhelmed at them working together.  If you look closely, it's not that they're in tune with each other - it's more that they're perfectly in tune with the world around them.  They move in and out of the surf seamlessly.  It seems like they do it together, but they all have developed a perfect rhythmic pattern with the waves.  They know each wave before it happens.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help