Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 14 07 12:41 AM

Tags : :

How about a spot for our 'chunes'? This one goes out to Mt. Louie, a Native American brave cry, I Will Survive by Mitch Walking Elk.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 14 07 12:51 AM

Here's some good earth medicine, Lakota and Dakota Sun Dance songs:

The Great Spirit is everywhere; he hears whatever is in our minds and our hearts, and it is not necessary to speak to Him in a loud voice. - Black Elk, Lakota

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 14 07 3:16 AM

Oh, Annie, those were so beautiful.  I listened to a Crow elder pray just the other day. 

I think the one thing it is important to understand is the indigenous cultures, the trees, the water, and the animals, are our last link to our Mother.  I'm not going to get tinny here, it's too sacred, but people need to understand that all of these things are being wiped out for a reason.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 14 07 11:56 AM

Yep, Lou, and the Celtic spirit as well...

The Great Spirit is everywhere; he hears whatever is in our minds and our hearts, and it is not necessary to speak to Him in a loud voice. - Black Elk, Lakota

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 14 07 11:56 AM

One of my favorites...

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 19 07 5:30 PM

Emeline, I LOVE that one. It never gets old to me.
   And momma, that's one I didn't know, so thank you! Very nice.

How about this:

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 19 07 9:09 PM

Oh, Em, that song reminds me of a good friend who passed away several years ago. 

Connie had a horrible life.  She grew up in a, for the times, privileged home, with a mother who was insanely jealous of her from the time she was a baby.  Another friend grew up with her and said it was the most horrific thing she'd ever seen, and at that time (she was about our age) nobody intervened in stuff like that.

Connie was, truly, one of the sweetest people I ever knew, but she was marked by blackness because of her mother.  She was constantly afraid she had made someone mad, could never apologize enough, was dependent upon different prescription drugs all of her life, and had one beautiful son that was left alone when she died.  He was sixteen when she died.

This song is about Connie.  Every word of it is her life.  I never hear it, but that I don't hope that Connie found peace at last, somewhere in the arms of the angels. 

One of the saddest things she ever told me was when her mother opened the glove box of her car and found it full of motel keys.  She accused her of being a prostitute, but Connie told me, "I really wasn't, I promise.  It's the only place I could sleep, and not in the same one.  I had to get a different room every time. It's the only place I felt safe."

Life is such shit, no matter how much we try to make it sound okay.  I love my friend, and I still miss her.  She was a beautiful person. 

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#9 [url]

Dec 19 07 10:35 PM

Damn, you all are makin’ me cry! And every time I hear that song I cry too. Ever notice how Sarah McLaughlin has the voice of an angel as well?

Lou, I am so sorry about your friend.

My cousin had these two beautiful little girls. They were golden haired and blue eyed  with the sweetest smiles and natures. You know the kind of girls who just seem  like they’re little angels? I can still hear them giggling. I remember one Summer’s evening in particular.  They were four and five years old  and I was out walking with them and their Dad, who was this big, huge guy, like 6 feet 6 of solid muscle and he looked really tough on the outside, but he had this great big, soft, kind heart. We were all playing hide and seek through the gardens and down the paths and out  through the fields of golden grain in the long light of the setting sun.    The girls would hide and then they’d shriek with delight and giggle so hard when we found them. Their Dad “horse-played” with us all and it was just a ton of fun and joy, just one of those evenings you end up remembering for a long, long time. That night I was sure that they were  the most adorable little girls in the world.

Anyway, fast forward, in the years that followed a lot of really bad things happened to that family. My cousin and his wife eventually divorced. One of those little girls, Deborah, was especially traumatised by a lot of it. They’d moved a long way away and I hadn’t seen Deborah for several years. She used to regularly phone or write to my favourite aunt who was her grandmother and my aunt would usually keep me up to date on what Deborah was doing.

In her late teenage years I knew she was “troubled”. I knew she’d been admitted to psychiatric hospitals a few times.  But it seems Deborah’s “main problem” as she saw it, was that she was overweight. That’s how Deborah coped with all the pain - she ate. Food was her drug of choice. That’s how she comforted herself. By the time she was 18 years old she was something like 23 stone, but all that weight just represented pain.  We didn’t know it at the time but a lot of other teenagers and some people in general really victimised Deborah because of her size. In the town she lived in some of them were really mean to her.

She started telling my aunt how desperate she was to lose the weight because “everyone hated fat people” and she was “ugly because she was fat”. Well of course her family and her real friends could see nothing but this beautiful, sweet, kind-hearted girl with a smile that could still light up the whole room. She’d always been an angel and she was still an angel. We tried to get her to see herself differently, especially my aunt - whose about as close to a real saint as any woman that ever  walked this earth.

But Deborah was obsessed with how “fat and ugly” she was and all she seemed to be able to hear was the mean voices who tormented her. We’d always say, “Just ignore them Debs, just ignore them” but she never could. She just internalised all of that criticism and hate  and somehow when it got into her veins it turned into poison.

When she was 22 she sent my aunt a letter saying how “no one would ever love her because she was fat” and talking about how much she hated herself.   Some of us decided we were going to go down to the town where she was living and persuade her to come back and live with my aunt where she would be nurtured and know she was loved and cherished.

But before this could be arranged Deborah took a massive overdose. Killed herself. Left a suicide note apologising for “being fat”. Broke a whole lot of hearts, especially her fathers and grandmothers. Even now, years later, sometimes my aunt and I will say, “If only we could have made her see what we saw when we looked at her”, which was a really beautiful, precious, sweet girl. - who was an angel.

When I remember her these days I usually remember that little golden haired, blue eyed, five year old angel girl sitting and giggling on a fence on a Summer’s eve, kicking her heels against the bricks, ready to start running off again shrieking with delight to find the next place to hide behind a tree or amongst a mass of tall flowers.  And I remember her big, strong, adoring,  gentle giant of a Dad carrying her on his broad shoulders and how much she loved it and how much she laughed.   That evening life seemed so  perfect.

And I think how it says in the Bible, “We have entertained angels unawares”.

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 20 07 4:59 PM

scotsajo, nice song!

Emmy said: But before this could be arranged Deborah took a massive overdose. Killed herself. Left a suicide note apologising for “being fat”. Broke a whole lot of hearts, especially her fathers and grandmothers. Even now, years later, sometimes my aunt and I will say, “If only we could have made her see what we saw when we looked at her”, which was a really beautiful, precious, sweet girl. - who was an angel.

Dang, that story made me cry. The pain swallowed by the poor, who only have refined carbohydrates available to eat, the abused and the oversensitive is shown in extra body weight. Society is so cruel to the fat.

Bruddah Iz died of his obesity but not before leaving some of the world's best songs behind him.

Quote    Reply   

emeline

Silver Monarch

#13 [url]

Dec 20 07 8:25 PM

Annie, thank you.  Beautiful and compassionate souls like yours are the very reason I can't ever give up entirely on the human race.  While there's still so much goodness and beauty in hearts such as yours I believe we can somehow find a New Dawn and make a kinder, gentler place.

Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 21 07 1:01 AM

Mahalo plenty!!
Namaste...

Quote    Reply   

concernedmomma

Silver Monarch

#16 [url]

Dec 22 07 12:08 AM

One of the things I would miss the most is music and the variety we get to enjoy today with the internet. You Tube is simply amazing for opening your eyes to the arts of the world.

Well aren't you just a fun little lollipop triple dipped in psycho......

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Dec 24 07 8:54 PM

Paxam, is that you? Good work!

Quote    Reply   

paxam

Tin Warrior

#20 [url]

Dec 25 07 1:30 PM

Thanks, annie.  Yes, it is me.  Another Latoc refugee.  Of the five tribes of Latoc, this might be a better hangout for me.  Maybe I can be a little more useful here and less of a pest. devil 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help